- the actual delivery was not as disgusting as I feared (although I avoided looking at the head popping out til the very end)
- changing diapers is not as gross as I expected (wiping crap off dog fur 3 times so far is still worse)
- being handed your child for the first time is the coolest thing in the world
- I also didn't expect to be so calm about everything. Basically if nurses and doctors weren't concerned, then I wasn't. I'm still calm and haven't panicked about anything.
I'm sure all of those statement above will be amended at some point, but I'm glad that I'm getting some ramp up time :)
2 comments:
Interesting. I don't think diapers are that gross, either.
Being zen is good. Zen is good for Mom and Baby, too. It's a little harder to be zen in a couple of months, when you're super-tired, but even then you can stay pretty calm.
1. Don't panic. Self-explanatory.
2. Carry a towel. "After all, a towel . . . is about the most massively useful thing [a parent] can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapors; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-boggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough." If you don't have room for a towel, try a bandana. Not as universally useful, but much more pocketable.
Post a Comment